GREENWICH — Two residents escaped early Sunday morning from a fire that severely damaged their home.
The fire started around 5:15 a.m. in the chimney of the house on Schubert Lane in Cos Cob, Deputy Chief Thomas Zack said. Flames quickly spread to the attic and second floor, he said.
The homeowners fled the house before firefighters arrived, Zack said. No one was injured.
Firefighters took about 25 minutes to get the flames under control and then tried to salvage items for the family, Zack said. The home is not habitable due to extensive water damage in the house and significant fire damage in the attic, he said. The residents denied assistance from Red Cross, he said.
Five engines from Central, Cos Cob, Byram, North Street, and Sound Beach stations responded and were on scene for about an hour, Zack said.
The fire marshal is investigating the cause of the incident, including whether there was a fire in the fireplace before the flames spread, Zack said. https://www.greenwichtime.com/local/greenwichtime/article/Greenwich-home-damaged-after-chimney-fire-spreads-13801710.php#photo-17296851